Thursday, June 30, 2011

What does Independence Day mean to you?

To me, July 4th is time of a pride I have in my Husband & Daddy and all servicemen for loving us all, America to, so much that they were and are willing to go out and defend us. I also feel as a patriotic holiday it’s a time to remember those who gave their lives for our freedoms.
I can’t imagine I’m the only one who’s eyes well up with tears anytime you hear, “America, America. God shed his grace on thee, And crown thy good with brotherhood, From sea to shining sea.”
If you are reading this blog I HIGHLY recommend when you’re done to visit the website scoutsongs.com and read all of the words to  America The Beautiful ! Talk about making your heart swell !!

Well I hope I’ve got your Red, White & Blue blood pumping for the holiday weekend. I’ll leave you today with these interesting tidbits I found. GOD BLESS AMERICA, my home sweet home. I wouldn’t want it to be anywhere else here on earth.
** On July 4, 1776, the 13 colonies claimed their independence from England, an event which eventually led to the formation of the United States of America.
** John Adams, whose influences help make this all happen wrote this letter to his wife Abigail:                        This day (July 4th) will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires and illuminations, from one end of it’s continent to the other, from this time forward for ever more.
**The Flag Salute**
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America / and to the Republic for which it stands / One Nation under GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all                                                                                             
The Pledge of Allegiance was composed in 1892 by Francis Bellamy, a Baptist minister
Interestingly the phrase, "of the United States of America" wasn't added until 1923. Even more interesting to me was finding out that the words, "under GOD" were not added until 1954....                                                    
***There have been many lawsuits filed in court since then to try and have the words Under GOD removed, so far with no success.
**The salute to our flag we have now, right hand over heart, isn't the original. In 1942 Franklin D. Roosevelt changed it to this because the original, called the Bellamy Salute. Arm outstretched, Palm down then Palm up was adopted by the Nazi's.... Thank you Franki D.  !


2 comments:

  1. Very good girl. You're just getting better and better! I watched a Netflix movie about John Adams recently. Excellent documentary. I didn't know about the "under GOD" thing until some years back when some idiot tried to get it removed (because it was offensive?). But the salute being changed? That's a new one. I did not know that. I'm with you,though, "Thank you Mr. Roosevelt." And yes, I too get goosebumps and teary-eyed and my heart swells when I hear those songs or see those tributes to our troops! Oh and don't forget your Granddaddy fought in WWII. HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Debbie :) and YES, much much Pride & Love to my Grandaddy too!!!!
    The Jehovah Witness tried to have the Pledge of Allegiance removed from our schools in 1940 siting that it was a form of idolatry.. the Supreme Court shot it down :)

    ReplyDelete