Wednesday, July 6, 2011

My Mother is on Facebook! .........and everybody else

I read a headline the other day, “Facebook will no longer exist after February 2012” …users have from now until February 2012 to contact old friends, stay in touch with relatives or social network in general". WHAT! NO WAY! They can’t do that. What are we going to do without Facebook???
OK, calm down. It was just a bogus rumor that had been started, totally untrue. But….. it got me to thinking, “What would happen if Facebook went away?”
  There are definitely lots of pros to having this form of communication at our fingertips. I personally have been in touch with friends and even some family that I haven’t seen or spoken to in years thanks to FB. I’ve been able to find out how they are – what they are doing now- if they have kids, grandkids. – I’ve even found out through FB that we’ve lost a few sweet souls.  Facebook is a great way to get in touch with a whole group of people all at once. Maybe you’re having a party or reunion. Maybe you’re planning a wedding or baby shower. It's definitely a great way to share your cool vacations photos or those sweet little baby pictures.
But what if..... what if it went away... What ever would we do?
Well, maybe we would start calling people again in order to see how they've been and if everything is going good for them and their family. Maybe we could go back to the old fashion way of inviting people to an event or gathering. (paper invites and phone calls) 
 Remember when people would come over and visit and sometimes you would pull out the ole' photo albums with all the pictures, old & new.
I'm not trying to insinuate that Facebook is a bad thing. It's not. I myself use it quite often. I used it to inform you all about this Blog I'm doing. I guess what I am trying to put out there is that we shouldn't allow technology in any form become so much a part of our lives that without it we feel lost.
I left my cellphone at home yesterday when George and I headed into town.. I nearly panicked! I almost made him turn around and go back to get it even though it would have put us late for our appointment. {we did not turn back} I feel naked without my phone by my side. I feel like something bad or good even, will happen and I won't be able to know about it. How absurd is that? I mean, there once upon a time was A TIME when we didn't have cellphones. It wasn't even that horribly long ago.
So I'm thinking, maybe we need a technology vacation. One day a week where there's no such thing as cellphones, computers, xbox, playstations { housephones and TV's are fine, they've been here forever. Ok, not forever but long enough} No GPS telling you in that weird computer voice, "Turn Left in 1.2 miles". Yeah, even that thing has taken over. On two separate occasions I asked someone the best way to get to "such & such" and was told, "Haha. You know, I'm not sure. I just use my tomtom or garmin and go with it."  WHAT!
I'm gonna give it a try by golly.... well not today obviously since I've been on this computer checking my Facebook and writing my Blog while talking on my cell phone to my friend I haven't actually visited in over a month and programming my Direct TV to remind me that one of my favorite shows is on at 9pm tonight and then........
Maybe I'll start tomorrow? I need to check my electronic calendar first  ;)    
                                                        

5 comments:

  1. You know Sandra, there are still, even today, people who *are* doing that (and have been for a very long time). They call it the *Sabbath*... :) But you are absolutely right. We do get totally dependent on technology. But I can remember a time when we didn't even *have* a T.V.! WHAT!! NO T.V.? That's what I said, no T.V., just ask your mom she remembers. OH other people had them but we didn't get one till I was in the 3rd grade! That would have been about 1963-1964. Times surely have changed just in my little lifetime. Even in your little lifetime. Can't even imagine what it will be like when your grandbabbies are adults! *IF* Jesus doesn't come before then... Love ya, hope you had a better day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I have to justify my "techno time" with the fact that I can only immerse myself during the summer time anyway - so, I will continue to do so until school starts back next week (um, I mean the first week of August). I'm trying to get all the facebooking, blogging, web-surfing, game-playing, and blank staring computer time that I can!!! After August 1st, don't look to hear feedback from me until next June. . . and so goes the life of a teacher. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I hope you keep reading my blogs Melanie ;) and Debbie I'm sure by the time the girls are all grown up they won't be Facebooking, probably teleporting! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, you're right. Who knows what it'll be by then. Melanie you nearly gave me a heart attach when I read "next week"!!! Oh, and Sandra, who's "anonymous"?? Do we have a creeper on here?!!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found out our "creeper" isn't so creepy.. it's mama. LOL

    ReplyDelete