Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Things our Mothers never told us...

I have come to realize that I am not my mother, but close enough like her to proudly say I am her daughter :)
I used to think that I didn't really learn alot from my mama. That who I was, what I did and how I lived was all me, but I'm finding out more & more every day that's just not true.
My husband told me the other day what a great cook he thought I was and how did I learn to cook so well? I told him "practice I guess?" Then I got to thinking and said, "from my mama."
 She never gave me any type of cooking class per say but I watched her...watched her cook meal after meal for our family. Even after working 12 hour shifts at the hospital she would come home and cook. Meatloaf, spaghetti, pork chops, fried potatoes, pots of beans in the pressure cooker (do they even make those things anymore? Pressure cookers, not beans lol)
 Anyways.... I watched and I learned. As little girls my daughters asked me, "How did you learn to put on makeup?" Well, it started by watching my mama. She never wore much but definitely always had on her mascara. How did you learn how to pray?... from watching my mama. How did you learn how to be a friend, how did you learn how to be a loyal & faithful wife, How did you learn how to be a mama..... I've learned it all from watching my Mama.
I bet when she was cooking, carefully applying mascara to her eyelashes, saying our bedtime prayers, visiting with Delores or Pat, washing my daddy's work clothes and taking us to the Madison Library on Old Hickory Blvd., she never really knew how much she was being watched and what lessons she was teaching us.
I can only hope that my very own daughters have learned some of those same values from me when I wasn't looking, but they were watching....

We need to remind ourselves that motherhood is HARD! and that there are NO perfect mothers. We all make mistakes. There is no one single way to parent a child, especially since each child is different weather it's yours, mine or theirs.
I'm so very thankful for the Mother that God choose for me.
I love you Mama <3


Martina McBride has an absolutely beautiful song that I LOVE and recommend you check it out on Youtube   "In My Daughters Eyes" {view the one with words scrolling}

3 comments:

  1. im gonna call my mom now... :’)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is your mama, and you brought tears to my eyes. It feels good to hear that I did something right. I am blessed to have 4 wonderful daughters. I am so proud of each one of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy that my post brought a nice tears, something special about mothers & their daughters :)
    Glad that you're proud of us mama... you did a lot of things right ;) ..but yeah, I know it's nice to be told once and awhile :)

    ReplyDelete