Thursday, July 21, 2011

People and places, milestones and phases…….


A milestone is one in a series of markers that we place in our minds as we travel the road of life. We use it as a reference point. It indicates an important event or turning point in your life.
A phase is a stage of development, a clearly distinguishable period of one's life in progress, the development of something.
All phases have a beginning and an end. The end of a phase usually leaves you with a milestone. I believe the milestones and phases of our lives help make us unique individuals.

The older I get the more I seem to accumulate these markers & stages...milestones & phases. There are so many...too many to recall in one sitting. I think maybe that's why we can sit and talk and talk about "Back in the day" or "The good ole' times" or the infamous "I remember when.."
If you listen to someones story weather it's short or long it's always being told with the help of milestones and phases. These things take up most of the room in our memory banks. I personally think we are always evolving and going through new phases in our life. Some good, some not so good...
This past year has been no different than any other year in my life, VERY eventful to say the least. I was thinking about a few of my own milestones and phases...

I had two grandbabies turn two years old, Madeleine & Layla. They're not babies anymore, they're Mimi's little girls AND we celebrated the addition of a new granddaughter, Farrah Elizabeth.
I've watched my oldest son move away to Florida while I'm watching my baby get ready to start his last year of high school.
I've nursed my husband after arm surgery and battles with kidney stones and waited nervously to hear the good news that my Daddy's cancer had not returned.
I've said many a prayer for my sisters this past year, each one of them dealing with fears & tears that I've battled with myself in the past.
I put an end to a 13 year friendship. Definitely one of the hardest things I've gone through but I have no regrets in doing so, it's what was best for me emotionally, mentally & physically. People move in and out of your life all of the time. Sometimes you're left wondering why they were even there to begin with. If you ask yourself that question often enough you will eventually figure it out. It really isn't that big of a mystery once you look back over the relationship.... I'll save all that for another day, another blog.
I quit smoking! 8 months now! I'm so proud of myself! (yes ma'am I am tooting my own horn, but for this I think you'll agree it's justified)
I've started working again. I haven't worked in 7 years. It feels really good to be out in the workforce again.
I really could go on & on but I don't think I have enough blog space to hold it all :)

Those are just a few of my own milestones & phases. I seriously would love to write it all down someday and make a book out of it. It wouldn't matter if anyone other than myself read it, although I think you would find it interesting enough to hold your attention. It's held mine for 42 years........

3 comments:

  1. My big milestone this year, I turned 60

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, keep on writing, I enjoy reading the things you write about. It's your life. It's memories. If we don't have anything else we do have the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's mama commenting about the BIG 60 :) (you don't look a day over 50!)

    True, true Marty about memories. I hope I always have them! (I have a weird paranoia/phobia about getting alzheimers..)
    I think that's why I'm so picture crazy.Every picture is a memory!

    ReplyDelete